Sunday, November 9, 2008

What's been happening lately?

The boys and I have been keeping busy going to the Parents & Tots group, which we call "playgroup."  That's three mornings a week, so by the time we get home, have lunch, get Logan a nap... it's dark and we're getting ready for supper.  We aren't feeling bored yet, so no need to find other activities - although they are out there.  I'm saving library story time and gymnastics for when time isn't flying by anymore

Craig's at work tonight.  He should be home around 5, but more than likely it will be 7.  Tomorrow is the start of days off for him - and of course, he'll spend most of tomorrow sleeping.  He's hoping to get out on a caribou hunt Wednesday or Thursday.  Those who know him can only imagine how excited he is about this!

We had our first Arctic char tonight.  A guy at Craig's work gave us two.  He caught them yesterday and we had the first one tonight.  The other is in the freezer.  Very yummy - a lot like the lake trout that Craig used to catch, which is what we had anticipated.

We now have our TV, microwave and deep freezer, along with a couple of other boxes.  The moon sand arrived, thank goodness.  The other 30 pieces were supposed to arrive Saturday.  Who knows when we'll seen them!  I'd really like the rest of my kitchen stuff.  Please?  Like one more pot?  A microwavable measuring cup?  And my lemon zester peeler thing travelled all this way to break the first time I used it here.

As we settle in here, I am beginning to notice differences.  However, probably a lot like if we has moved to northern SK.  The one thing that bothers me the most is the way kids are taken in vehicles.  Having spent all of my life putting seatbelts on myself, then my kids, seeing kids with none on sort of bothers me.  I swear we are the only vehicle with car seats.  Today I saw a mother take her six year old on her lap in the driver's seat (with a winter coat on, the daughter's head was above the mother's and I'm sure the hood made it impossible for her to see) and let her "help" steer as they back out of their parking spot, and, I assume, all the way home.  Regardless of the danger they are both in, I certainly don't want to meet them at a slippery intersection - putting me and my family in danger.  Now, as incensed as I am, I imagine in a year (or a month) it won't even phase me!

The boys have been asking some tough questions.  We went to get our grocery order at the airport, and I told them the plane had brought the food.  Then Logan said "Plane?  Home?"  And then my heart broke.  And on the way home they had a conversation in the back seat about going "home" and not going "home" and questions about when we'd go back to our old house.  Why does Craig always get to be at work when these things happen?!!  I think the newness is wearing off, and along with it the excitement.

Now I have promised myself to get back into gear and get working on my course.  So here I go!  I have taken some more pictures, hope to post them soon!

A quick note....I also got Liam on the list for preschool next September.  I found out when we got here that they only take 16 and there were 30-some names on the list last year.  No waiting list for us though; the lady said they weren't quite full yet.