Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Bedtime adjustment

For the past five nights or so, I have been doing a new bedtime routine. Things were getting a bit out of hand with the talking, the book reading, the getting out of bed. Clearly, Logan desperately needed to be in bed, sleeping, but Liam just wasn't tired yet. If Liam did go to sleep when Logan did, he would be up super, unbearably (for me) early.

I made him a deal. If he was quiet, I would put Logan to bed first, then he could stay up for a bit. Not knowing how Logan would handle this, I put them in the bath first, so I could get them both in their PJs without arousing suspicions. Then I brushed Logan's teeth while Liam went downstairs and played with his moonsand. Logan got to pick a story, and we got to read it "properly" for him - which means counting things, looking at colours, etc. It's the first time he has sat still for a long time. Usually he comes and goes during story time. Then I tucked him in, sang him his song, and said good night. I had to go right back in once to reassure him, then he was out.

Downstairs, Liam was quietly playing. I made him a snack, then we watched a show, then read a story. Which could be a bit longer, because I didn't have to keep telling Logan to sit! Then up to brush teeth and into bed. Once again, tuck in, sing song, good night, out like a light.

As a result, Liam isn't asleep until just before 9 now. But really, there were some nights that they would keep each other awake until 10. And I haven't had to do any threatening or counting or anything like that. Which makes me much happier, too.

We will see if this carries on so well. Liam knows his staying-up privileges can be revoked at any time, so a reminder may be required at some point. But for now, it is much quieter and less stressful at bedtime. Oh, and Liam is waking up at the same time as the rest of us now.

No comments: