Thursday, February 26, 2009

Getting bigger

Yesterday was a very busy day... First, playgroup in the morning, of course. Not too much excitement there, except an older boy came, which was great for Liam. It seems as though, literally, since his birthday, he has felt a bit "old" for playgroup. He's just not as interested as he used to be. As much as he plays with the girls his age (there are only two that are close), he loves it when a boy his age comes. All of a sudden he is ready for preschool. Maybe after going away for a month, his interest will be renewed.

I was going out for wings with some girl friends last night, so my plans for the afternoon included showering, drying my new jeans....that sort of thing. And then Liam mentioned some things that sounded suspiciously like the start of a UTI. So, while there was time, and before it got serious, he and I went of to the hospital. We actually had a good time there. He had a wonderful imagination game going that we were on a boat. There was fishing, rowing, throwing the anchor over. He even went "swimming," which was great because he puffed out his cheeks and pretended to be holding his breath. At one point the anchor got stuck on some rocks, so I suggested he swim down and get it loose. He looked at me and said, "But Mom, there are puffer fish in the water, and you have to be careful because they will PUFF up, and then spikes will shoot out and get you!" I wouldn't have dabbled my feet in the water if I had known! Perhaps the best time I've ever had an emergency room. The result of our trip? Undetermined as of now. They'll let us know if the lab results are positive in about 48 hours. He hasn't had any pain or "tickling" today, so maybe it was a false alarm. Oh, but when we first got in to the ER, the nurse asked if I thought I could get him to "pee in a cup." Little did she know, that is his favourite part of any doctor visit. I have, in the past, had them let him pee in a cup, even though it wasn't necessary. Unfortunately he had just gone before we left the house, as I didn't think we would get in that fast. So we sat down and had the snack I'd brought while he drank his juicy water. Five sips of drink for each cracker, that sort of thing. At one point he had five sips, but they didn't seem very big, so I said five more and he said "But that'll be ten!" My boy can add!

Then it was off to wings. Sans shower or new jeans. And no real makeup. But the important thing was the going out. These people have all seen me at playgroup on tired mornings.... I wouldn't want to shock them too much!

We think that Logan's 2-year molars might be moving around and causing him some discomfort. Not much fun for him.

He has learned to really "kiss." Before, putting his mouth on your cheek and doing a kissy noise were two separate things. Now he has put them together, and if you can convince him to give you one, it's very sweet. He is also starting to do things by himself, which is great that he isn't always needing someone else with him to play. Liam had a playdate over on Tuesday, and Logan did a great job of being a little brother and bugging them for the first bit, but then he was very happy to sit at the table with us Moms and color in his colouring book. He has enjoyed playing moonsand on his own for a while, too. It is still sweet to watch the two boys play together, whether it's blocks and trucks, or "cooking" up a storm.

That's all that is new for now. Off to pay attention to our favourite blog subjects!

No comments: